The pressure tracing between two chambers of the heart are distinctly different .
Apart from the magnitude of the pressure ,(LV at systemic pressure ) The morphology also changes.
- RV pressure curve is triangular in shape,
- Upstroke is not rapid , (Low dp/dt)
- There is no sustained peak ,
- There is an early fall and
- The pressure falls to zero which never happens in LV.
Contary to this LV pressure curve is bullet shaped, with a rapid upstroke, sustained peak, fall later, and does not touch zero.
RV/LV pressure curves in normal persons .Adapted from , Curtiss 1975 Circulation
Note : The shapes of RV curve will change in pathological states.Example in TOF, large VSD there will be left ventricularisation of RV pressure wave forms. Also in pulmonary hypertension RV pressure may mimic a LV curve.